Level 3 Certificate in Applied Business
1st year for Level 3 AQA Applied General Certificate, which comprises 3 units. 2nd year for AQA Applied General Extended Certificate which comprises 3 units.
Further details are available from the AQA website
Entry Requirements/Student Suitability
Students will have to meet deadlines set by Business teachers but can do this at their own pace rather than having to perform to the time constraints of an exam. They will need to be highly organised to keep on top of their coursework and enjoy independent research using a variety of sources. Students will therefore need to meet the Sixth Form Level 3 entry criteria, including Maths, English and a Science at GCSE if they intend to study the course. The overall qualification is graded as P, M, D, D*.
AQA Level 3 Certificate (AS equivalent)
Students complete three units in their first year. They complete two pieces of controlled assessment and one finance examination.
• Unit 1 Financial planning and analysis External examination
• Unit 2 Business dynamics. Internally centre assessed
• Unit 3 Entrepreneurial opportunities. External assignment
AQA Level 3 Extended Certificate (A2 equivalent)
Students complete three units in their second year. They complete two pieces of controlled assessment and one examination unit.
• Unit 4 Managing and leading people External examination.
• Unit 5 Developing a business proposal Internally centre assessed.
• Unit 6 Marketing communications Internally centre assessed
Methods of Study
• Analysing the requirements of the performance criteria.
• Individual work with the teacher on how to improve work to meet the next grade boundary.
• Group and individual work on presentations and role plays.
• Practical activities e.g. mini investigations.
• Using web sites to keep up to date with recent research.
Progression and the Future
AQA Applied Business provides an introduction to the sector for learners looking to build a career in Business through resource management, marketing, finance, customer services and Business Communication. They also offer direct progression into Higher Education.
On an Applied Business course, you will develop critical thinking and analytical skills, alongside familiarity with evaluative techniques; self-reliance, initiative and the ability to manage time, projects and resources. These attributes are much sought after by employers.
Mrs A Boden
Curriculum Area Leader - Business Studies
How to Apply:
The Application Process begins in February of each year. Please contact Debbie Chick, Sixth Form Support for further information or to request an application form.
Click here for a printable version of this specification.