Welcome to Health and Social Care
Health & Social Care is available to students in Year 9, 10 and 11. The Department believes our students will succeed by providing a stimulating environment that is conducive to learning with support, challenge, praise and encouragement. The department is led by Mrs Allen (Curriculum Area Leader of HSC). Business Studies will help to develop your knowledge and understanding of how organisations are organised and managed.
Key Stage 4 Pearson BTEC Technical Award Health & Social Care
The Technical Award gives students the opportunity to develop knowledge and skills linked to the health and social care sector in a practical learning environment.
The qualification focuses on three areas:
and processes, such as interpreting
data to assess an individual’s health, and
designing a plan to
improve their health and wellbeing
opportunity to practise applying them
2. Attitudes, namely the care values that are vitally important in the
sector, and the
3. Knowledge that underpins the effective use of skills, processes and attitudes, including human growth and development, health and social care services, and factors affecting people’s health and wellbeing.
Here is a link to the specification.
The following units are covered over the three years:
· Component 1: Human lifespan development – internally assessed through two coursework assignments. (YEAR 9)
· Component 2: Health & Social Care services and values- internally assessed through two coursework assignments. (YEAR 10)
· Component 3: Health and Wellbeing – externally assessed through a two-hour exam. (YEAR 11)
Please see the Health & Social Care curriculum map for more details of the course.
A full revision guide covering the externally assessed Component 3 has been issued to all Year 11 students.
Further details of Health and Social Care curriculum for Years 9-11 can be accessed here: HSC curriculum map.